DONETKS, November 23. /TASS/. The Ukrainian military has seized the Gladosovo settlement located in the buffer zone near the city of Gorlovka, local residents have been told to remain at home, a spokesman for the Operational Command of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) said.
"Tonight, militants from the 54th Separate Mechanized Brigade and the Aidar battalion have blatantly bullied the residents of the Gladosovo settlement," the Donetsk News Agency quoted the spokesman as saying. "Under the cover of the night, the raiders entered the settlement and blocked every house, prohibiting locals from going outside, threatening them with weapons," the spokesman added.
He stressed that the Ukrainian military had brought mortars to the settlement and started to plant mines in its neighborhood. The DPR Operational Command said that such actions amounted to taking civilian prisoners and were a gross violation of the Minsk Agreements.
On November 3, Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko signed a decree saying that the Shirokino settlement was no longer part of the Donbass "grey zone." A new civil military administration was formed to rule Shirokino and the Berdyanskoye settlement in the Volnovakhsky District of the Donetsk region.
The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements stipulates a comprehensive ceasefire and the withdrawal of heavy weapons aimed at establishing a security zone no less than 50 kilometers wide. The document, agreed on by the leaders of the Normandy Quartet countries (Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine), was signed by members of the Contact Group on February 12, 2015. In September 2015, the Contact Group on resolving the situation in eastern Ukraine sighed an additional provision stipulating that both parties should withdraw light weapons 15 kilometers away from the line of contact in order to set up a 30-kilometer buffer zone (or a "grey zone").
However, Kiev violated the Minsk Agreements, launching a "creeping offensive" to seize settlements located in the "grey zone." According to the Donbass republics, in 2015 and 2016, the Ukrainian military seized eight settlements in the buffer zone - Pishchevik, Pavlopol, Vinogradnoye, Gnutovo, Shirokino, Bakhmutovka, Zhovanka and Troitskoye.
- The Walt Disney Company to Acquire Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc., after Spinoff of Certain Businesses, for $52.4 Billion in Stock
- Alcons Pro-Ribbons Deliver FLIX Cinema’s Platinum Quality
- Ajay Bijli of PVR Limited Receives “Exhibitor of the Year” Award at CineAsia 2017
- 4DX Forms New Partnership with Malaysia’s Golden Screen Cinemas and Signs Strategic Deal with PVR Cinemas to Launch Another Sixteen 4DX Screens in India
- Cinemark Announces Grand Opening of New 8-Screen Theatre with Luxury Lounger Recliners and XD Auditorium in Spanish Fork, Utah
- Atom Tickets Teams Up With Showcase Cinemas To Expand Digital Ticketing To Even More Screens In the Northeast
- Long Range Forecast: ‘Fifty Shades Freed’ ‘Peter Rabbit’
- Barco receives the Technology Innovator Award at CineAsia 2017
- Thursday Night Report: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Launches to $45M Domestic; Reaches $60.8M Overseas In Two Days
- Cinemark Promotes Don Harton and Damian Wardle to Executive Vice President
- US Army may send larger deployments to Europe
- American exodus? 17,000 US defense suppliers may have left the defense sector
- As tensions ease, China keeps building on disputed islands
- New Navy secretary report criticizes service culture and top brass decisions
- The Army is testing if it wants to operate combat drones remotely
- Italian pilot school achievements may benefit American T-X trainer program
- US: Ballistic missiles fired on Saudi Arabia were provided by Iran
- Russia's naval updates threaten undersea comms network, says top British military officer
- US Army Europe is getting a new commander from 25th ID
- A road map and recipe for US-India defense ties