SOCHI, November 21. /TASS/. Wolf Zabivaka, an official mascot of the 2018 World Cup, took a ride on the 240-meter high (almost 790 feet) Zip-line in Sochi to greet the much-coveted FIFA World Cup Trophy, which arrived in the Russian southern resort city on Tuesday as part of its tour across the country.
"The city of Sochi is the last stop during the first part of the official FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour across Russia," FIFA representative Lucas Rakhov said during the greeting ceremony as mascot Zabivaka performed the stunt over the picturesque gorge in Sochi.
A zip-line is an aerial runway, which consists of a pulley suspended on a steel cable and a user rides this pulley from the top to the bottom of the inclined cable propelled by gravity. The Zip-line in Sochi that was used by mascot Zabivaka is 240-meter high and covers a distance of 700 meters (2,300 feet).
"The Trophy will set further from here on a major tour abroad covering over 50 countries," Rakhov added.
The FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour kicked off on September 9 in Moscow. The trophy was on display in 15 Russian cities before coming to Sochi and, according to the organizers of the tour, over 200,000 Russians had the chance to see the major prize of the world football championship.
After Sochi, the FIFA World Cup Trophy will be sent abroad and exhibited in more than 50 countries around the world. The trophy will then return to Russia and visit nine more Russian cities. The total length of the tour is more than 27,000 km.
After successfully hosting the FIFA Confederations Cup this summer, Russia is now in full-swing preparations to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
In other media
- The Walt Disney Company to Acquire Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc., after Spinoff of Certain Businesses, for $52.4 Billion in Stock
- Alcons Pro-Ribbons Deliver FLIX Cinema’s Platinum Quality
- Ajay Bijli of PVR Limited Receives “Exhibitor of the Year” Award at CineAsia 2017
- 4DX Forms New Partnership with Malaysia’s Golden Screen Cinemas and Signs Strategic Deal with PVR Cinemas to Launch Another Sixteen 4DX Screens in India
- Cinemark Announces Grand Opening of New 8-Screen Theatre with Luxury Lounger Recliners and XD Auditorium in Spanish Fork, Utah
- Atom Tickets Teams Up With Showcase Cinemas To Expand Digital Ticketing To Even More Screens In the Northeast
- Long Range Forecast: ‘Fifty Shades Freed’ ‘Peter Rabbit’
- Barco receives the Technology Innovator Award at CineAsia 2017
- Thursday Night Report: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Launches to $45M Domestic; Reaches $60.8M Overseas In Two Days
- Cinemark Promotes Don Harton and Damian Wardle to Executive Vice President
- US Army may send larger deployments to Europe
- American exodus? 17,000 US defense suppliers may have left the defense sector
- As tensions ease, China keeps building on disputed islands
- New Navy secretary report criticizes service culture and top brass decisions
- The Army is testing if it wants to operate combat drones remotely
- Italian pilot school achievements may benefit American T-X trainer program
- US: Ballistic missiles fired on Saudi Arabia were provided by Iran
- Russia's naval updates threaten undersea comms network, says top British military officer
- US Army Europe is getting a new commander from 25th ID
- A road map and recipe for US-India defense ties