CAIRO, July 15. /TASS/. The Russian woman stabbed by a knifeman in Egypt’s Hurghada fought back, Russia’s Charg· D’affaires to Egypt Artyom Polyakov told TASS on Saturday.
"Our fellow countrywoman happened to be a very courageous woman as she was fending off the knife attacker fearlessly in Hurghada," Polyakov said, adding that her bravery could have possibly saved her life.
"The attacker did not expect such resistance from the Russian woman and switched to other tourists," the Russian diplomat said.
"She was defending herself from the knife so her hand and arm were mostly injured," he said, adding "her face was cut a few times, too."
"Her condition is satisfactory, she can walk by herself, but is in an unstable mental, post-traumatic condition," Polyakov said.
The woman "has accepted Egypt’s proposal to get moved to Cairo for further treatment." In hospital, she will undergo a comprehensive medical check-up and then plastic surgery, the diplomat said. "The treatment might be long and will probably take weeks," he added.
Russian diplomats keep in contact with Egyptian authorities, law enforcement agencies and hospital management.
"We are ready to provide any possible and necessary assistance to our fellow countrywoman at any time," Polyakov said.
On Friday, a man attacked foreigners with a knife on the beach of a hotel in the Egyptian resort of Hurghada. Two German female tourists were stabbed to death in the attack. Two female tourists from Armenia, a woman from the Czech Republic and another from Russia were injured.
- Malaysia arrests seven suspected of involvement with Abu Sayyaf militant group
- Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- North Korea calls Trump ‘barking dog’
- UAF inks agreement
- Muslims caught in Austrian election crossfire
- Deepika Padukone looks regal in first look of ‘Padmavati’
- Two revenue dept officials injured
- Azadi Chowk inaugurated in Sargodha
- Two wildlife officials gunned down
- US, Iran meet as Trump threat looms over nuke deal
- Anti-migrant, anti-Muslim, anti-Merkel: Germany's AfD
- EXレイドパス is trending at 10 in Japan
- 創設表明 is trending at 8 in Japan
- #あんスタカップリングメーカー is trending at 6 in Japan
- Gboard is trending at 5 in Japan
- #バスの日 is trending at 4 in Japan
- Matosas is trending at 10 in world
- 시민상 is trending at 9 in world
- Paulinho is trending at 8 in world
- #MartesIntratable is trending at 7 in world