This week’s Long Range Forecast continues an early look at 2018’s slate with Fifty Shades Freed and Peter Rabbit, both scheduled to open February 9.
- Fifty Shades Freed will aim to tie up the trilogy with another relatively successful February run. Although earnings dipped from the first to second film, that film’s $114 million domestic pull was still reflective of a strong fan base. Opening the week before Valentine’s Day and President’s Day weekend could give this third entry a little extra leg room to aim for the $100 million total mark again.
- Peter Rabbit will unite an ensemble voice cast led by James Corden in a live action adaptation of Beatrix Potter’s famous literary character that should appeal strongly to families with kids. Early box office comparisons can be made to films like 2011’s Hop and 2015’s Paddington. After January 12’s Paddington 2, there’s very little family-driven competition on the slate, giving this plenty of chance to carve out that segment of the audience.
- Diminished returns are commonplace in most franchises entering their third or later films, and we expect that trend to continue with Fifty Shades Freed. The uninitiated aren’t likely to show up in droves for the franchise finale like some did for 2015’s first film.
- Peter Rabbit opens months in advance of Easter, making comparisons to 2011’s Hop a bit more of a stretch since that film had a timely holiday release. There’s also a Marvel film opening one week later — Black Panther — although that will only crossover to the older portion of Peter‘s potential target audience.
This Week’s Changes & Other Notes
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle continues to show signs of a major breakout over the stretch run of the holiday season following Amazon Prime’s exclusive member screening and early critic reactions generating very positive word of mouth.
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood’s The 15:17 to Paris (slated to open February 9) just debuted this week, so we’re holding off on forecasts until a decent interval of buzz assessment has passed.
The 8-Week Forecast:
|Release Date||Title||3-Day Wide Opening||% Chg from Last Week||Domestic Total||% Chg from Last Week||Location Count||Distributor|
|12/20/2017||The Greatest Showman||$11,000,000||$75,000,000||3,100||Fox|
|12/20/2017||Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle||$28,000,000||$210,000,000||11%||3,600||Sony / Columbia|
|12/22/2017||Pitch Perfect 3||$34,000,000||$115,000,000||3,400||Universal|
|12/22/2017||Father Figures||$7,000,000||$41,000,000||2,800||Warner Bros.|
|12/25/2017||All the Money in the World||n/a||$15,000,000||-36%||2,000||TriStar|
|12/29/2017||(no films scheduled currently)||–||–||–|
|1/5/2018||Insidious: The Last Key||$19,500,000||$34,500,000||Universal|
|1/12/2018||Condorito: La Pelicula||$5,000,000||$12,500,000||Lionsgate|
|1/12/2018||Paddington 2||$19,000,000||$70,000,000||Warner Bros.|
|1/12/2018||The Post (expansion)||$20,000,000||$90,000,000||Fox|
|1/12/2018||Proud Mary||$17,000,000||$55,000,000||Sony / Screen Gems|
|1/19/2018||12 Strong||$10,000,000||$36,000,000||Warner Bros.|
|1/19/2018||Den of Thieves||$6,500,000||$13,000,000||STXfilms|
|1/19/2018||Forever My Girl||n/a||n/a||Roadside Attractions|
|1/26/2018||Maze Runner: The Death Cure||$24,000,000||$65,000,000||Fox|
|2/2/2018||2018 Cloverfield Movie||n/a||n/a||Paramount|
|2/2/2018||Winchester: The House that Ghosts Built||$10,000,000||$28,000,000||Lionsgate / CBS Films|
|2/9/2018||The 15:17 to Paris||n/a||n/a||Warner Bros.|
|2/9/2018||Fifty Shades Freed||$40,000,000||NEW||$100,000,000||NEW||Universal|
|2/9/2018||The Hurricane Heist||n/a||n/a||Entertainment Studios|
|2/9/2018||Peter Rabbit||$25,000,000||NEW||$103,000,000||NEW||Sony / Columbia|
- #FE名シーン is trending at 10 in Japan
- D.A.N is trending at 9 in Japan
- TK引退 is trending at 8 in Japan
- KEIKO is trending at 7 in Japan
- #マックスむらいに質問 is trending at 6 in Japan
- #美樹さやか is trending at 5 in Japan
- ウサミン is trending at 4 in Japan
- #せふほで本性が分かる is trending at 3 in Japan
- 小室さん is trending at 2 in Japan
- 小室哲哉 is trending at 1 in Japan
- EURO 2024 is trending at 10 in world
- Edgar Allan Poe is trending at 9 in world
- 20 AAP MLAs is trending at 8 in world
- #VendrediLecture is trending at 7 in world
- 小室哲哉 is trending at 5 in world
- #ReleaseTheMemo is trending at 4 in world
- #HrantDink is trending at 2 in world
- #KarneGünü is trending at 1 in world
- Jhye Richardson is trending at 10 in India
- #BANvSL is trending at 8 in India
Tagged under BoxOffice Predictions , Entertainment , the , to , of , that , a , shades , this , in , february , from , first , film , / , early , last , run , aim , up , with , week , slate , an , for , films , open , with fifty , scheduled , and , although , chg , stretch , holiday , million , opening , little , show , third , day , on , welcome , week’s , comparisons , like , $114 , there’s , rabbit , both , very , at ,