They convicted had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two convicted Kuwaitis remained at large
KUWAIT CITY: Kuwaiti authorities on Saturday arrested 12 convicted members of a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Lebanon’s Shia movement Hezbollah after a weeks-long manhunt.
The interior ministry said the 12 had been captured in different areas across Kuwait. They had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two other convicted Kuwaitis remained at large.
Kuwait expels Iranian diplomats over ‘terror’ cell: officials
The supreme court in Sunni-ruled Kuwait, which has a sizeable Shia minority, in June overturned an acquittal by an appeals court and convicted 21 Shia of forming a “terrorist cell” with ties to Iran and Hezbollah.
The cell had planned to launch attacks across the Gulf state, according to the court verdict.
Kuwait has protested to Lebanon over the alleged training of the so-called “Abdali Cell” by Hezbollah, which has ministers in the Beirut government.
Preparations begin for militants to leave Lebanon border region: Hezbollah media unit
Last month, authorities expelled 15 Iranian diplomats and shut down the military, cultural and trade missions of the Iranian embassy over Tehran’s backing of the “terrorist cell”.
Iran said the allegation is baseless.
Shia account for around a third of Kuwait’s native population of 1.35 million.
- Classic Cinemas Strengthens Strategy Partnership with GDC
- Marcus Theatres Raises Over $104k for Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin at 2nd Annual Hollywood Movie Night, Premieres “Wonder”
- CTC Re-launches with Renewed Vision to Support the Global Cinema Industry
- Joe Wright Looks at the Politics Behind the Man in ‘DARKEST HOUR’
- Complete collection of paintings by Kazimir Malevich opens in Moscow
- Airtel now offers 1GB of 3G/4G daily data at Rs 198 for prepaid users: Report
- Box Office Predictions – Julie 2
- Gazprom to develop natural gas motor fuel infrastructure in Bolivia
- Padmavati team refutes claims of demanding CBFC priority
- Deployment of American ABMs in Japan poses no threat to Russia — Japanese defense chief
- The Best Black Friday Deals!
- Blac Chyna's Impressive AF Snap Back Will Inspire You To Get Off The Couch After Your Thanksgiving Feast!
- A Few Ways To Kill Time While Waiting In Line On Black Friday
- Rein in private hospitals, Centre tells states
- Train derailment: Railway Ministry announces ex-gratia
- RANK: What Are Your Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions?
- Celebrity Bikini Bods We're Thankful For!
- Reese Witherspoon, Daisy Ridley, Zendaya, Other Celebs Express What They're Thankful For — WATCH!
- Army Takes Steps For Swift Troop Movement Along China Border
- China Shows Interest In Talking OBOR With India