Everybody wants glowing skin. But so many factors can conspire against it: dehydration, stress, lack of sleep, over-exfoliation, a poor diet, and yes, you guessed it, heat and humidity. In the summertime, the sweet spot for fresh, dewy-looking skin is when the temperature is between 30°C to 40°C with 40% to 50% humidity, says New York City dermatologist Janet Prystowsky. But as the season heats up and the thick, sticky air rolls in full force, it’s easy to end up looking plain sweaty instead of dewy and supple.
Still, there’s hope! Compiled from Prevention, here is a list of six easy ways to look luminous all season long.
1. Drink more water
Even if you manage to keep your face relatively sweat-free, unavoidable summer perspiration can leave you dehydrated, leading to a dull complexion. Thankfully drinking more water can help. “When the cells in your skin are well hydrated, and the dead outer layer is relatively exfoliated, your skin will have a fresh, dewy look,” Prystowsky says. Beverly Hills board-certified dermatologist Harold Lancer agrees, adding that being well hydrated stabilises the skin barrier, which moisturises the skin and provides the proper medium for cell turnover and collagen production.
So how much should you plan to drink? Don’t worry about the exact amount, Lancer says. “If you sip water all day, you’ll see an improvement.” Keeping a reusable water bottle with you 24/7 can serve as a reminder to sip, sip, and sip some more!
2. Eat more nuts and veggies
To get the dewy look you’re after, Jennifer T Haley, a board certified dermatologist in Scottsdale, Arizona, suggests eating more foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts, flaxseed, and wild salmon. She also recommends cutting back on sugary, processed foods which can lead to oily skin and breakouts.
Vegetables such as spinach and kale, which contain vitamins A and E, are also great choices, says Christina Smitley, a board-certified family nurse practitioner who specialises in dermatology. These nutrients help to stimulate collagen production, reduce wrinkles, and encourage blood flow, which can give you a fresh, dewy complexion.
3.Cleanse and exfoliate
Humidity can cause the skin to sweat and produce more oil, but that’s nothing a little face wash can’t handle. “Cleansing the skin with glycolic washes can remove excess oils, breakdown [dead skin cell] buildup, and brighten the skin leaving it radiant and smooth,” says Smitley. Homemade exfoliating masks can also leave your skin glowing for days.
Skin moisturises itself, and in fact, the ability to naturally create a barrier to water loss is its most crucial function, says Frey. Still, it can always use a little help. Applying a well-formulated moisturiser can increase the skin’s water content, optimizing its dewy appearance, says Frey.
5. Go easy on the highlighter
Less is more when it comes to using makeup to create a fresh look without too much shine. Keep things light by foregoing foundation and just using a tinted moisturiser, suggests Hillary Kline, a Minneapolis-based makeup artist, and beauty blogger. If you can’t imagine stepping out without foundation, she suggests applying a mattifying primer first to give the complexion a more velvety finish. “If you have oily skin, this is going to be your best friend.”
Applying highlighter is another way to get dewy. But don’t overdo it, Kline cautions. “Just place the product on top of the cheekbones and down the bridge of the nose.”
6. Try a hydration spray
Saving the best for the last! What if you only have five minutes, and want a fresher look? “Rosemary and hydration sprays are a quick and easy way to reduce inflammation and hydrate the skin in a hurry,” suggests Smitley.
Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.
- Stephen Chbosky Goes from Page to Screen with ‘WONDER’
- Justice League Begins Overseas Run, Claims Top Opening Day of All Time in Brazil
- Weekend Forecast: ‘Justice League,’ ‘The Star,’ ‘Wonder’
- ‘Coco’ Becomes Highest-Grossing Film Ever in Mexico
- Russia, Iran, Turkey presidents to discuss Syria in Sochi
- Justice League Movie Review
- Tumhari Sulu Movie Review
- Many Dutch children still don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables: report
- Lauren Jauregui Steve Aoki's 'All Night' - REACTING Live!
- Anne Frank foundation buys Anne’s other home, now a refuge for writers
- No Contradiction In Blocking Resolution On Masood Azhar: China
- The Crazy-Expensive Just Plain Crazy Items From Gwyneth Paltrow's 2017 Goop Holiday Gift Guides!
- Russia, China to hold joint computer-assisted missile defense drill
- Instagram now allows uploading Stories via mobile web; here’s how it works
- Brooke Hogan Talks Body Shaming Impossible Beauty Standards: 'Kids Are Literally Killing Themselves'
- Demi Lovato Luis Fonsi's 'Échame La Culpa' - REACTING Live!
- Will Sridevi make a guest appearance in her daughter Janhvi Kapoor’s debut Dhadak?
- Box Office – Qarib Qarib Singlle Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana Stay Ordinary In Their 1st Week
- Box Office Predictions: Vidya Balan’s Tumhari Sulu Zareen Khan’s Aksar 2
- Jennifer Hudson Splits Receives Protective Order From Fiancé David Otunga