A militant from Tral, Mohammad Ishaq, wanted by the police since December 2015 for threatening sarpanchs and panchs, is believed to be in a same-sex relationship....
NEW DELHI: Slain Lashkar member Abu Dujana was just one of many terrorists in Jammu & Kashmir who don't hesitate to take a break from the violence to indulge in amorous affairs or force themselves on their victims.
The objects of affection or lust may not always be women, with there being a recorded case of a Hizbul Mujahideen militant from Tral being in a relationship with another man. Another terrorist from Anantnag, Aadil Ahmed Reshi, killed on January 15 this year, was involved with a married woman from Srinagar. The identities of the 'lovers' are being withheld.
A look at the files of militants, both active and killed in the recent past, provides insight into how they lower their guard in between their kills to romance or claim partners in the residential areas of Kashmir. The case histories, accessed exclusively by TOI, show as many as 14 terrorists from diverse groups like Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammad and Hizbul Mujahideen to be involved in "womanising". Of these, eight were killed between December 26, 2015, and August 5, 2017, while one was arrested upon surrender.
As many as five are active terrorists. One on the radar is Sayar Wani, a Hizbul Mujahideen militant in Kulgam who allegedly uses the houses of "girlfriends" as hideouts, and forces himself on others at gun-point. He currently has a reportedly steady relationship with a girl from Yaripora.
A militant from Tral, Mohammad Ishaq, wanted by the police since December 2015 for threatening sarpanchs and panchs, is believed to be in a same-sex relationship.
Of course, the liaisons come with serious security risks. The movements of terrorists are compromised due to frequent visits to their lovers, not to talk of bitter ex-girl friends turning informers.
Umar Majeed Ganai, linked to Hizbul, killed five policemen and two civilians when he attacked a cash van in April. There is a Rs 10 lakh reward for information on his whereabouts. But this has not deterred him from having an affair with a girl from Kulgam.
There are also cases of foreign terrorists from Pakistan and POK being involved with Kashmiri girls. Dujana, who was married to a local woman, was having an affair with another. He was apparently killed not in the wife's house at but at his alleged girlfriend's.
Another 'most wanted' terrorist, Bashir Ahmed Wani of Anantnag, who was killed on July 1, was known to be in a relationship with a person from Dialgam. Danish Dar of Sopore used his love interest's house as a hideout, but ran out of luck on August 5, when he was killed.
Junaid Ahmed Mattoo, a Lashkar terrorist who had gunned down two policemen in June 2016, was involved with a woman from Arwani. He was killed in June.
- US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- France invests in ventures focused on advanced defense tech
- Army car falls into roadside ditch killing two in Chittagong
- Rangpur police detain two Union Council members over attack on Hindu homes
- Rangers arrest 20 criminals in Karachi
- Security forces arrest five terrorists in Balochistan
- US Must Invest In Natural Strategic Partner India: Randall Schriver
- Is India Developing A 12,000 Kms Range Missile - SURYA?
- Pakistan Needs To Be Told US Won't Tolerate Terrorist Safe Havens: John C Rood
- India Aims To Expand Presence In Indian Ocean Region: Send Warships To Tanzania
- No Contradiction In Blocking Resolution On Masood Azhar: China
- ECONOMY: Moody's Back Modi: Moody’s Upgrade A Fitting Reply To Govt’s Critics: Jhunjhunwala
- The Crazy-Expensive Just Plain Crazy Items From Gwyneth Paltrow's 2017 Goop Holiday Gift Guides!
- Eight arrested in Amsterdam in joint Dutch Irish drugs crackdown
- Rafale Deal Tweaked To Aid One Man: Rahul Gandhi
- Facebook launches new tools for video creators
- Russia, China to hold joint computer-assisted missile defense drill
- American Boeing And HAL Discuss Building F/A-18 Fighter
- Russian vessels arrive in Thailand to take part in naval parade
- Girl who survived Far East plane crash in hospital with her mother, condition stable